Saturday, January 8, 2011

Grocery Shopping and Unit Prices

Now that I FINALLY finished the leftovers, I did the grocery shopping for the week. I tried to buy the cheapest items in each Thrifty Food Plan (TFP) category:
















Here's the receipt:




The unit prices for the groceries today:
Eggs: $1.20 per pound
Cereal: $2.59 per pound
Canned green beans: $0.43 per pound
Canned sweet peas: $0.52 per pound
Pork shoulder: $1.29 per pound
Chicken quarters (wings and thighs): $0.49 per pound
Imitation crab meat: $3.49 per pound
Squash: $0.99 per pound
Carrots: $0.99 per pound

I also bought 20 pounds of rice (5 pounds brown rice, 15 pounds white rice):
















The unit prices for the rice was:
Brown rice: $1.20 per pound
White rice: $0.99 per pound

I bought more than usual today because my wife is in town for the week, so I'm buying for two people. The TFP calls for 73.37 pounds for the two of us this week. I didn't buy any dark green vegetables, potatoes, fruit, juice, or milk because I still have some in the fridge.

The current unit prices for these items (thank you, wegmans.com!) are:
Dark green vegetables:
- Baby bok choy: $2.99 per pound
- Spinach $3.20 per pound
Potatoes: $0.40 per pound
Onions: $1.00 per pound
Fruit:
- Apples: $1.99 per pound
- Clementines: $1.20 per pound
Milk: $1.79 per gallon (about $0.21 per pound)
Orange Juice: $3.98 per gallon (about $0.47 per pound)
Apple Juice: $3.98 per gallon (about $0.47 per pound)

There's also a 1-lb container of crab meat ($4.99 per pound) in the fridge.

Some things I noticed today:
- Some items cost a lot less when frozen or canned instead of fresh. Fresh green beans were selling at $2.99 per pound, while the canned ones were only $0.43 per pound.
- Some items cost a lot less FRESH. Fresh milk is $1.79 per gallon, but a box of powdered milk (not baby formula!) that makes 2 gallons is $6.99, or $3.50 a gallon.
- Cereal (even the store brands) is a rip-off. Just get oatmeal ($1.48 per pound) or make rice porridge (yum!)

Some other thoughts:
- It's a waste of money to buy something that you don't like and will never eat. Flour sells for $0.20 per pound ($0.66 per pound for whole grain flour), but I don't bake (yet!), so it doesn't make sense for me to buy flour when I won't eat it. Rice is more expensive, but I love the stuff, so I'm willing to spend a little more for it. The same goes for the imitation crab meat (which is made out of fish); I could get canned tuna for less, but I don't like the stuff, so why buy it when I won't eat it?
-- On the other hand, if it's all you can afford, then I guess you don't have a choice... but that will be for another blog post.

I start cooking tomorrow, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment