Saturday, April 16, 2011

Recipe: Meat and Vegetable Stew

Here's the recipe for the chicken and vegetable stew that I mentioned back in January (chicken 'cause it's cheap!).

Meat and Vegetable Stew (serves a lot - this batch lasted me 3 days)

Ingredients: small variations in amounts are acceptable - this isn't rocket science!
- 1.25 lbs potatoes or other starchy vegetable (I've used winter squash before)
- 1.5 lbs vegetables (I used 8 oz carrots and 16 oz canned string beans in this photo, but I've also used bags of mixed frozen veggies)
- 1.25 lbs chicken or other meat (Be cheap - chicken thighs and drumsticks are great in stew)
- Salt to taste (I never use any for myself, but my wife likes salt in her food)

Tools:
- 1 slow cooker that can hold everything. If this recipe doesn't fit yours, reduce the amounts until it does!

Preparation:
1 - Wash the potatoes or any fresh veggies.
2 - Chop up all the vegetables until they're all in bite-sized chunks or smaller. Set aside.
3 - Wash your meat and set it aside.

Cooking:
1 - Put your heavy starched veggies in the bottom of the slow cooker.
2 - Put your meat in the middle.
3 - Put the rest of your veggies on top. Add salt and other seasonings now if you want any!
4 - Fill the pot with water.
5 - Set the slow cooker on "Low" and wait 8 hours.
















6 - Turn off the slow cooker, ladle out the food, and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment